4.6.10

My Doctor Docs Reviews vs. NY Times


I review two films in this week's The L magazine, both of them "doctor-documentaries"Living in Emergency, is a documentary about the NGO Doctors Without Borders, and  Burzysnki: The Movie is about the famously suspect, famously beleaguered Dr. Stanislaw Burzysnki of Texas. In this Friday morning's paper (the only Arts section I really read with interest) I had the masochistic pleasure of comparing my opinions with those of Jeannette Catsoulis and A.O. Scott in The New York Times. This game is always dangerous. You can feel vindicated if your opinions 'match' or defeated if you 'missed' something.  In this Friday's case, vindication!  Most of the time though, it's sort of a moot point. Today's happy victory could be next week's defeat; piece has been e-printed. A better approach then, would be the critic's slow resignation to trusting her instincts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment