4.3.09

today




drawings on the sides of books (the booksketch series) by marina roy. I like her artist's statement, here is a portion of it:

....I am not concerned with being identified with any fixed "signature" or with "mastering" a medium, I work across a variety of mediums. I also feel that certain ideas are better represented through specific mediums; often this is for art historical reasons (e.g., the modernist legacy), or simply because of my curiosity regarding the possibilities of a medium's visual and haptic qualities. I believe that art works offer up critical, alternative, even utopian, meanings about the state of the world and our place within it, resisting the instrumental reason (e.g., market) that, more often than not, generates mainstream culture

No comments:

Post a Comment